About Me - aka A Proper Introduction
This "business thing"
I've been in business for almost 3 years and I still feel like I am in the same place I was 2 years ago, as far as my business is concerned. I am now surrendering to the fact that I need to market myself. UGH.
Channeling Bones from the original Star Trek - "Jim! I'm a photographer, not a marketer!" Incidentally, my husband's name is James, and when we first started dating, our favorite thing to do was watch Star Trek the Next Generation on Friday evenings - yep we were party animals.
Anyway, several things that I will be doing this year is to blog more consistently and add to my Google page. So I figured I should start out right and give a proper introduction.
Hi! I'm Claire and I am a Family Documentographer and a Child Portrait Photographer. In other words, I specialize in taking photos of families and their everyday lives as well as photographing children. I especially enjoy stylized shoots with kids, particularly in vintage and holiday clothing.
This is one of the former:
I know, very different, right?? I can't choose one over the other, so I am specializing in both. I am also involved with the Who I Am Project from Lisa Edwards and I am LOVING it. So three niches...I refuse to choose.
As I mentioned before, I am not a natural marketer, so I need all the help I can get. I found Marie Masse's Fearless and Framed community and it's been a Godsend. Her marketing class is helping me work on marketing my documentary sessions. I love that I can apply the principles that I learned through her class towards my child portrait sessions/projects.
So this is me as the "Photographer".
I am also a Christian, a mom to 2 kids and 2 dogs and wife to an amazing man. I am also lucky to belong to a small tribe of mothers from school that forgive my shortcomings...at least I think they do, because I have alot!
1) I used to want to be a gymnast (I grew up in the 80s and watched the Olympics with Mary Lou Retton). I'm not flexible, so that's that
2) I took 7 years of piano and hated every minute of it, but I know how to read music. My daughter on the other hand, is an amazing pianist, only took a few months of lessons, and doesn't read music. Go figure...
3) Top Ramen is my current guilty comfort food. I add egg to the broth while it's boiling for that extra bit of nutrition.
4) My favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip.
5) My favorite books are historical fiction - the last one I read was Ken Follett's World Without End.
6) When I was a kid, I took a career aptitude test and scored highest for Photographer. Isn't it funny how you wind up where you are supposed to be?
Want to see more? Click HERE and you will be directed to www.clairetoney.com. A lot of my work portrait work is there for you to see. Also, sign up for my newsletter to get more of my tips and info on all of my special projects.
What's coming up: Let's talk cameras
Until next time...