This "business thing"
I've been in business for almost 3 years and I still feel like I am in the same place I was 2 years ago, as far as my business is concerned. I am now surrendering to the fact that I need to market myself. UGH.
Channeling Bones from the original Star Trek - "Jim! I'm a photographer, not a marketer!" Incidentally, my husband's name is James, and when we first started dating, our favorite thing to do was watch Star Trek the Next Generation on Friday evenings - yep we were party animals.
Anyway, several things that I will be doing this year is to blog more consistently and add to my Google page. So I figured I should start out right and give a proper introduction.
Hi! I'm Claire and I am a Family Documentographer and a Child Portrait Photographer. In other words, I specialize in taking photos of families and their everyday lives as well as photographing children. I especially enjoy stylized shoots with kids, particularly in vintage and holiday clothing.
This is one of the former:
And this is one of the latter:
I know, very different, right?? I can't choose one over the other, so I am specializing in both. I am also involved with the Who I Am Project from Lisa Edwards and I am LOVING it. So three niches...I refuse to choose.
As I mentioned before, I am not a natural marketer, so I need all the help I can get. I found Marie Masse's Fearless and Framed community and it's been a Godsend. Her marketing class is helping me work on marketing my documentary sessions. I love that I can apply the principles that I learned through her class towards my child portrait sessions/projects.
So this is me as the "Photographer".
I am also a Christian, a mom to 2 kids and 2 dogs and wife to an amazing man. I am also lucky to belong to a small tribe of mothers from school that forgive my shortcomings...at least I think they do, because I have alot!
1) I used to want to be a gymnast (I grew up in the 80s and watched the Olympics with Mary Lou Retton). I'm not flexible, so that's that
2) I took 7 years of piano and hated every minute of it, but I know how to read music. My daughter on the other hand, is an amazing pianist, only took a few months of lessons, and doesn't read music. Go figure...
3) Top Ramen is my current guilty comfort food. I add egg to the broth while it's boiling for that extra bit of nutrition.
4) My favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip.
5) My favorite books are historical fiction - the last one I read was Ken Follett's World Without End.
6) When I was a kid, I took a career aptitude test and scored highest for Photographer. Isn't it funny how you wind up where you are supposed to be?
What's coming up: Let's talk cameras
Until next time...